6.8 C
London
Wednesday, April 24, 2024

MSF suspends operations in northwest Burkina Faso after gunmen kill two staff members

Date:

Related stories

WHO hosts the first forum on traditional medicine

The World Health Organization will convene its first summit...

Despite profit-taking, the price of oil still records a weekly rise

As the dollar rose and oil speculators took profits...

Kenya bans churches after allegations of killing worshipers who were starved

According to a government document made public on Friday,...

Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) announced in a statement that it has halted operations in a region of northwest Burkina Faso where two of its employees were murdered by armed assailants on Wednesday.

“On the morning of February 8, armed men opened fire on the crew of a Doctors Without Borders vehicle bearing a four-person medical team while it was traveling between Dédougou and Tougan (in the northwest). While two workers died, the other two were able to flee “said MSF.

The driver and a logistics supervisor, both Burkinabe nationals, perished at the ages of 39 and 34, respectively, according to a statement from MSF.

According to the NGO, whose members are “shocked and outraged by this assassination,” according to MSF President Isabelle Defourny, quoted in the statement, “the two victims, of Burkinabe nationality, had been employed by MSF” since June 2020.

Read Also  Amnesty International condemns the blocking of access to social media platforms in Ethiopia

In the context of its medical mission, “this is a deliberate and intentional attack on a clearly identified humanitarian team,” Ms. Defourny said.

According to a local and a security source, this is the second attack carried out by suspected jihadists in Burkina Faso on Wednesday after the one that left six dead in the Center-East: three army deputies and three civilians.

Two military takeovers occurred in Burkina Faso in 2022, and since 2015, the country has been caught in a wave of jihadist violence that started in Mali a few years ago and has since spread throughout other countries.

Two million people have been forced from their homes as a result of the violence, both civilians and soldiers.

Read Also  Tycoon charged in reporter slaying case in Cameroon

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome & exclusive content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

InsiderBLM Africa
InsiderBLM Africahttp://insiderblm.com
InsiderBLM Africa shares deep financial, media, tech, and other industry verticals happening in Africa.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest stories